As of tomorrow, October 17, cannabis will be legal across Canada. Obviously, many students are excited, and students will be permitted to consume cannabis in Edmonton and at the University of Alberta! However, there's a few things to keep in mind with regards to federal law and campus regulations around cannabis!
- Cannabis is only legal for those 18 or older.
- 30 grams is the most you can buy or carry at one time.
- Driving high is illegal and cannabis cannot be within reach of anyone in a vehicle.
- Edibles are not yet legal to sell.
- Students may consume cannabis in designated areas on North Campus only. Those locations are near SUB, Rutherford North, Lister Centre and Nîpisîy house. See this map for more information.
- Smoking or vaping of cannabis is not permitted in residence buildings; you also can't grow cannabis in any university building (unless it's for an approved research project).
- Smoking and vaping of cannabis products will not be permitted at university events – including those hosted by student groups – for at least a year.
- Sales, advertising, branding and sponsorship of cannabis products on university campuses or at university events is not permitted.
If you choose to consume cannabis, be safe, be respectful of others, and follow all the laws and regulations! For more information about cannabis on campus, see the detailed regulations here.